Now home to the Osler-McGovern Centre, 13 Norham Gardens was one of the finest houses in Oxford when Sir William Osler acquired it in 1907, two years after his appointment to the Regius Professorship of Medicine. It thus became the home in Oxford of one of the greatest physicians in the history of medicine. After Osler's time, it was also occupied by two other Regius Professors – first Sir George Pickering and then Sir Richard Doll, the last Regius Professor to live there.
Generous contributions from friends close to Green College, including the McGovern Fund in Houston, Texas, Dr John P McGovern himself, and the Patrick Trust enabled Green College to purchase 13 Norham Gardens, undertake major internal refurbishment and equip and launch the Osler-McGovern Centre.
During the fourteen years of Sir William Osler's Regius Professorship he made 13 Norham Gardens a meeting place and source of inspiration for medical students, physicians, scientists and academic visitors from all over the world. It soon became known as 'The Open Arms' for the warm welcome it offered. The Oslers' home became the Atlantic bridge for medical scientists and practitioners.
Today, the Centre promotes the integration of the art and science of medicine by uniting a community of scholars through programmes involving lectures, seminars, workshops, conferences, visiting scholars and post-doctoral Fellows.
The Osler-McGovern Centre is open to visitors by prior arrangement only. To arrange a visit, please contact the Conference and Events Manager: email: , tel: +44 (0)1865 284550.
13 Norham Gardens is also home to the Reuters Institute for the Study of Journalism.