Full academic dress must be worn at degree ceremonies. You must wear the University of Oxford academic dress and gowns.
Please ensure you wear the following:
1. A mortar board or soft-cap
2. Your preferred sub fusc (one from the following list)
- Dark suit with dark socks, or
- Dark skirt with black tights or stockings, or
- Dark trousers with dark socks
3. Dark coat if required
4. Black shoes
5. Plain white collared shirt or blouse
6. White bow tie, black bow tie, black full-length tie, or black ribbon.
Members of the University serving in HM Forces are permitted to wear uniform together with a gown.
You will need to bring two gowns (an ingoing and an outgoing gown) and the appropriate hoods (if there is one) to the degree ceremony. Please see further information below as to where academic dress may be hired.
You will need to wear the gown of your existing status (and the hood if there is one) during the first part of the ceremony.
- If you have already had an Oxford degree conferred at a ceremony, you should wear the gown and hood of your previous degree.
- If you have not had an Oxford degree conferred at a ceremony, you should wear the graduate gown.
You will be required to change into the gown (and hood) of your new degree at the appropriate time during the ceremony.
Green Templeton College does not provide/organise the hiring of acdemic dress. Academic dress my be hired or purchased from Shepherd and Woodward Ltd., 190 High Street; Walters, 10 The Turl, and Castell and Son, 13 Broad Street. They require at least two to three weeks' notice for hiring. It is possible to buy/hire online at www.shepherdandwoodward.co.uk or email: email@example.com
A number of graduate gowns are available for hire from the College Lodge, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
The Proctors may refuse admission to any candidate not properly dressed.
Dr G Myatt
Dean of Degrees