Accessibility Page Navigation
Style sheets must be enabled to view this page as it was intended.
Green Templeton College | Oxford


GTC accommodation

Green Templeton College has a good range of accommodation at reasonable rents.

We normally expect to be able to provide accommodation to students for two years of a three-year course, and to most if not all new students. Students migrating to the College after completing part of their course are normally offered accommodation for one year.

There is also limited accommodation for students with partners and families, including a number of self-contained flats and some small houses bordering the College site. Students who are bringing families with them to Oxford are strongly advised to apply for their programme of study as early as possible and to specify Green Templeton College as their preferred college in order to have the best chance of securing suitable accommodation.

See more information about accommodation at:

GTC students have also provided some information, opinions and photographs about the different accommodation available. See the GCR website for more details.

Accommodation at GTC is managed by Nick Martin, Accommodation Officer, T: +44 (0)1865 274795, E: This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it .

Are the rooms furnished, and what will I need to bring with me?

Single rooms are furnished as study-bedrooms. On the main College site they are arranged mainly in groups of 4 to 6 with a shared bathroom and kitchen/dining room. The majority of rooms at St Margaret’s Road are en suite. All rooms have wireless internet access.

Kitchens are equipped with cookers, microwaves, fridges and freezers, and basic cooking utensils including crockery and cutlery. Students should bring their own bedding and towels. (These can be purchased cheaply from large supermarkets and other stores locally.) There are laundry rooms on the College site and at Rewley Abbey Court, and washing machines in the St Margaret’s Road annexes.

Self-contained flats at Rewley Abbey Court are equipped with basic furniture and large kitchen appliances (electric cooker with hob and grill, and fridge/freezer), but students must provide smaller kitchen equipment and all other cooking utensils and basic household items, as well as the items listed above.

How are the rooms allocated?

Rooms for continuing students are allocated by room ballot in April.

Rooms for new students are allocated in ‘first come, first served’ order from May. If living in College accommodation is very important to you, you are advised to apply early and to nominate Green Templeton College as your preferred college on your application form.

How much will it cost?

Rooms are graded small, medium, large, and twin/double. Prices are given on the details pages, and you can also view a summary of rents here. Rents include energy bills and internet access.

If you will be living with your partner or another adult non-student, you will probably be liable for Council Tax in addition to your rent. See information about Council tax here, or visit the Oxford City Council website for more information.

What if I can’t get College accommodation?

All available University and college properties, plus private rented accommodation from vetted landlords, is listed on the University Accommodation Service website. You have to register to view properties. It is worth putting your name on a waiting list even if there is nothing available at the moment. See the University Accommodation Service website.


Alternatively, Daily Information is an Oxford advertiser which is available in poster form in various locations and online. Websites such as, Spare Room, Gumtree and offer flat- and house-sharing opportunities.


It is strongly recommended that you share only with other students, otherwise you could end up with a Council tax bill.

Residence limits

The University requires that all graduate students live within 25 miles of Carfax, the crossroads at the centre of Oxford. A student who feels there is a good reason why they should be allowed to live further away should ask the College to apply for a Dispensation on their behalf. Contact This e-mail address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it in the first instance.


Read the University Regulation relating to residence limits.

We use cookies to improve our website and your experience when using it. Cookies used for the essential operation of the site have already been set. To find out more about the cookies we use and how to delete them, see the GTC Privacy Policy.

I accept cookies from this site