Accessibility Page Navigation
Style sheets must be enabled to view this page as it was intended.
Green Templeton College | Oxford


You will have been asked at the start of your programme of study to confirm that you have sufficient funds to pay for your fees and living expenses.


Currently (academic year 2016/17) the University estimates that a single student will require between £11,636 and £17,191 to live in Oxford for 12 months. See information from the University about living costs and how these figures were calculated.


Students with partners and families to support will also need to increase this figure accordingly. See further information for students with dependants.


If you are intending to work to support yourself while you are studying, you should refer to the University's Paid Work Guidelines, which GTC has adopted. You should also make yourself aware of potential tax implications; the Low Incomes Tax Reform Group provides a useful tax guide for students.


The Oxford University Student Union (OUSU) can provide some financial advice to students.


Medical students may also find the Money4MedStudents website useful.

If you are in financial difficulty, it is better to seek help immediately than to wait until the situation is critical.

College hardship funds

The College has a limited amount of funds each year in case of student hardship in unforeseen circumstances. Students who feel they may be in need of hardship funds should make an appointment with Keith Herring, College Accountant, in the first instance. Loans and grants will not be made available to students who have embarked on a programme with insufficient funding.

Other awards available from the College

Scholarships available to current and continuing students for the next academic year

Awards available to BM students (2nd BM and graduate entry) for the current academic year

Awards available to students at the Saïd Business School for the current academic year

Awards available to all students for the current academic year

University hardship funds

The University Committee on Student Hardship makes grants to students who find themselves in unexpected financial difficulties. It is essential that these should have arisen from circumstances not within the student’s control, and could not reasonably have been foreseen.

It should be noted that the College is required to confirm that the applicant had sufficient financial resources at the time of acceptance, and that the College has to verify the applicant’s statement of estimated income for the period which the grant is being asked.


The Committee is unlikely to make a grant unless the College supports the application. Therefore it is essential for anyone wishing to make an application to discuss the matter first with Keith Herring, College Accountant


See more information about University Hardship funds.

Outstanding College accounts

All outstanding bills to College should be paid before a degree is conferred. The College reserves the right to pursue debts using external agencies and in serious cases it may decline to present a student for graduation if their account has not been paid.