Personal computers are connected to the College network at the discretion of the IT Department.
Personal machines require a firewall, automatic security patches enabled, and a current antivirus product running before they will be connected.
There is wireless network access available in all College accommodation, as well as most common areas. There are two University wide wireless networks, OWL (Oxford Wireless Lan) and Eduroam. There is also a dedicated GTC wireless network only found in GTC accommodation. Eduroam is the network of choice, as it remembers your login information and automatically connects you to the internet when in range of an access point. The GTC wireless network works in the same way as Eduroam, and offers faster speeds.
To access the wireless networks, you will need to configure your Remote Access Username and Password. To do this login to: http://register.oucs.ox.ac.uk Select the Activate/Reset Remote Access from the top of the main list. Accept the T’s & C’s and then configure a password; your username is still your Single Sign-On ‘grtexxxx’.
• To connect to Eduroam or the GTC wireless network: http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/network/wireless/services/eduroam For Windows 7/8, Vista and Mac users, the setup procedure is usually very simple. Connect to the network Eduroam (or GTC), and put in your Remote Access username and password. Accept the certificate offered.
• To connect to OWL: http://www.oucs.ox.ac.uk/network/wireless/services/owl/vpn
Before you can use OWL, you must have the Cisco AnyConnect VPN client installed on your laptop. You can install this as mentioned in the Downloading section above. Once it is installed, get in range of an OWL signal and just select it from the available network list and hit connect. Once OWL is connected, run the VPN client and set the ‘Connect to:’ prompt to ‘vpn.ox.ac.uk’. Enter your Remote Access Username and Password to connect and you will now have normal network access.
PLEASE ATTEMPT THE ABOVE STEPS BEFORE COMING TO THE IT OFFICE. Should you have any problems we will be pleased to help you. Contact us by e-mail to email@example.com or come in person to the IT office in the Lankester building to book an appointment.
Cabled internet is also available in some College accommodation. This is secured in the same manner as the OWL wireless network, so once cabled in follow the same procedure when connecting.
Using the network you are bound by both the university rules on computer use and the college rules of computer use. Please make sure you read these.These rules include:
- You MUST have an up-to-date virus checker installed, or install one immediately after connecting. If you do not own one the university allows members to install Sophos Anti-virus free on their computers. See details of how to obtain Sophos. Note: As new viruses are discovered daily you must keep your virus checker up to date. Refer to the program documentation to see how to do this.
- Windows updates / OS security updates must be regularly applied.
- Do not run any servers such as a mail server or a web server (if you don't know what these are then you won't be running them). If you want to run one contact the IT Manager first.
- Disable File Sharing, or if you must use file sharing ensure all shares have a password on them.
If you are using Vista, and getting the error "Error 56: The Cisco Systems, Inc. VPN service has not been started. Please start this service and try again."
Turn off internet connection sharing on any connections that have it (Lan or wireless connections), following the instructions in this link.