Accessibility Page Navigation
Style sheets must be enabled to view this page as it was intended.
Green Templeton College | Oxford

All students are assigned a College Adviser, who will be a senior member of the College. For most students this will be someone from outside their immediate subject area, although clinical medics will be assigned a clinical adviser.

Your College Adviser can:

  • provide pastoral support, for example on health, personal or coping issues, and/or direct you to appropriate persons for assistance
  • monitor your progress, by discussing your University supervision reports and by being available for consultation, either in person or by email
  • discuss with you any problems or difficulties you may be experiencing in your Department or Faculty, and/or with your supervisor
  • consult the Senior Tutor if there are concerns about your academic progress and if you appear to be experiencing difficulties with your academic work
  • offer guidance on sources of support available within the College and University.

In addition your College Adviser may be able to offer you advice on academic-related matters such as applications for research funding, conference and seminar attendance, publication, and career plans. They will be invited to attend your annual College progress review meeting (called Collections) and any College events at which you may be giving a talk or presentation. They will also write a brief general report on your progress once a term which complements the report written by your Departmental Supervisor (you have the right to see these reports).

Your College Adviser is not expected to perform the role of your Department or Faculty Supervisor(s), and is not responsible for directing your academic work or for giving detailed academic guidance.

You should meet your College Adviser during your first term (many will be present at one of the Induction Dinners in October), and you are encouraged to contact them as and when you need advice or help. (You should also feel free to consult other College officers as necessary; see below.) Additionally, your College Adviser should contact you on a regular (approximately termly) basis for an informal meeting, usually over lunch or dinner. Students are expected to respond promptly to invitations and to reschedule if the proposed time is not suitable.

Your College Adviser may be changed during periods of sabbatical or other academic leave. Should there be reasons for you to seek a change of Adviser, or if you are having difficulty contacting them, you should contact the Senior Tutor or the Student Administrator.

Further information

This guidance focuses specifically on the role of your College Adviser. Your College Adviser will be able to direct you to relevant sources of advice and support, which you should feel free to consult as necessary. These might include (but are not limited to):

  • College Dean (who is responsible for welfare)
  • Graduate Common Room Vice-President for Welfare
  • Junior Deans or Peer Supporters
  • College Nurse or Doctor
  • College Senior Tutor, Student Administrator or Academic Registrar
  • College Accountant (for financial matters).

College Advisers: see the   College Adviser Handbook 2014.