Accessibility Page Navigation
Style sheets must be enabled to view this page as it was intended.
Green Templeton College | Oxford

In a serious medical emergency (where life is in danger) you should telephone 999 immediately and ask for the ambulance service.

If you do go to hospital, you should inform the College at the earliest opportunity. 

College Doctor

GTC’s College Doctor (General Practitioner, GP - similar to a family doctor) is Dr Deborah Waller. Dr Waller is part of a large medical practice located at 19 Beaumont Street, a short walk from the GTC site.


You may see any of the doctors at the surgery by appointment, and it will usually be possible to see a female or male doctor according to your preference.


Address: 19 Beaumont Street, Oxford OX1 2NA
Telephone: 01865 240501
Opening hours:  8am to 6.30pm Monday to Friday
The surgery offers extended opening hours for routine, pre-bookable GP appointments.
Extended hours:
Tuesday & Thursday evenings until 7.30pm
Saturday mornings 8.30am to 12 noon
Please note the telephone lines are not open during the extended hours.


All students are strongly advised to register with a medical practice in Oxford (and preferably 19 Beaumont Street) immediately on arrival. New students will be sent registration forms with their induction information in July or August; once in Oxford, these can also be obtained from the College Nurse or at the surgery.

Students whose spouses, partners and children are accompanying them to Oxford should ensure that each individual is registered with the doctor. They may all register with the College Doctor. Please complete a separate registration form for each individual. If you have children under the age of 5, ask to make an appointment with a health visitor to talk about scheduled routine check-ups and vaccinations.

Students from the UK

UK-based students are strongly advised to register with a practice in Oxford rather than remaining with their home practice. Students coming to GTC from other Oxford colleges who are already registered with a college-associated doctor are not required to transfer to 19 Beaumont Street (although they are welcome to do so if they wish to).

Students who lived in the Oxford area prior to joining GTC and who are registered with a local doctor may remain with their current practice, but are advised that it is often helpful to have a doctor who understands the university system and the pressures and demands faced by Oxford students. This is particularly the case if any health issues are encountered at examination times. It may be to your benefit to transfer to 19 Beaumont Street at the start of your programme.

Students from outside the UK

Students coming from elsewhere within the European Economic Area (EEA) should obtain a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) before leaving their home country. Every family member travelling with you will need their own EHIC. See information from the European Commission about the EHIC and how to apply for it. You should still register with the College Doctor on arrival in Oxford.

Students coming from outside the EEA (‘overseas’) will, since 6 April 2015, have paid an Immigration Health Charge at the same time as applying for their UK entry visa. Read more about this charge on the University's student visas website (section 6). This charge confirms that you are eligible for NHS treatment. You should still register with the College Doctor on arrival in Oxford, as access to most services, including specialist clinics, is by referral from a GP. If you think you require any specialist medical treatment you will need to make an appointment with the doctor in the first instance, and this will be simplified if you are already registered.

If you have a pre-existing medical condition for which you are receiving treatment, this may not always be available on the NHS; you should discuss this with your doctor in your home country before leaving, and it may be advisable that private health insurance should be taken out. If you have queries about the treatment that may be available in the UK, you may contact the College Nurse before arrival in Oxford. She may be able to help with making enquiries about your particular situation.

International students with partners or family should note that you will have to take each family member's passport in to the surgery to complete registration.


There is a standard charge for NHS patients for each item of prescription medication. This is currently (2015) £8.20 per item. Pre-payment certificates for 3 months and 12 months are available; if you require regular prescription medication (more than 4 prescriptions in 3 months or 14 prescriptions in 12 months) these will probably save you money. Some items may also be available over the counter in chemists (pharmacies) more cheaply than on prescription.


International students who are taking medication for ongoing or long-term health conditions are advised not to wait until you require your first repeat prescription but to make an appointment to see the doctor as soon as possible after arrival, as in some cases the medication you are normally prescribed may not be available on the NHS.


Out-of-hours service
After 6.30pm until 8am or at weekends and bank holidays, if you telephone the surgery number above, your call will be put through directly to the out of hours service who will take your details and arrange for a doctor to contact you.

You may be invited to attend an emergency appointment at the GP out of hours centre (East Oxford Health Centre) in Manzil Way, off Cowley Road.

Minor illnesses and injuries

For example colds, 'flu-like illnesses, knocks, bruises.


Many treatments for common, minor illnesses can be obtained from the chemists (pharmacy). The nearest one to GTC is Woodstock Road Chemist, about 100 metres to the left out of the main gate. The duty pharmacist can also provide advice on the most appropriate treatment.


If you require first aid on the College site, please contact the Lodge on 01865 274770 who will locate the nearest first aider.


Please inform the Lodge if you are taken seriously ill and unable to leave your room.


NHS 111 service

NHS 111 is a 24-hour telephone healthcare helpline. It aims to provide information and advice about health, illness and health services, and to enable patients to make decisions about their healthcare and that of their families. If you have non-emergency health queries, you can call 111 (free from both landlines and mobile phones) and speak to an adviser.

Accident & Emergency department (‘A and E’, the Emergency Room)

This is located at the John Radcliffe Hospital and caters for acute emergencies such as broken limbs, sudden breathlessness, etc. Do not be surprised if you are expected to wait before you get medical attention – in busy periods or for less urgent problems this may be a number of hours.


Dental Care

Please note that NHS dental care is subsidised but not free - patients pay part of the cost of treatment. A check-up currently (2015) costs £18.80.


Studental is an NHS dental practice based at the Oxford Brookes campus in Headington. They will see any Oxford University students and staff.

Telephone: 01865 484608


Closer to the main College site, St John's Dental Practice is usually able to take new NHS patients.

Telephone: 01865 515967