The Eight Winds at Radcliffe Observatory

The figures of the Eight Winds seen on the Radcliffe Observatory appeared on the original Tower of the Winds in Athens.

They were used by the sculptor John Bacon (1740-99) as the basis for his designs for the flying figures round the top of the stonework of the Observatory. Bacon also designed the two statues (in cast iron) of Atlas and Hercules who support the globe on the roof.