In An Emergency

Emergency medical treatment can be obtained at the Emergency Department (A&E) of the John Radcliffe Hospital. Even if you are not registered with the NHS, you will always be seen in an emergency.

In a serious medical emergency (where life is in danger) and/or where you or someone else is experiencing the following symptoms, you should telephone 999 immediately and ask for the ambulance service:

  • Severe chest pain
  • Severe difficulty breathing
  • Unconsciousness
  • Severe loss of blood
  • Choking
  • Suspected stroke
  • Fitting or concussion
  • Drowning
  • Severe burns or scalds
  • Mental health crisis

NHS 111 Urgent Health Advice Service

If you are unsure whether you should visit the Emergency Department (A&E), or if you are experiencing an illness and injury in the evening or at the weekend, call NHS 111 by dialing 111 for 24/7 urgent health advice.

GP Out-of-Hours Service

If it is not an emergency, but you need urgent medical advice (or think you need to see a doctor urgently) out of working hours, you should ring 19 Beaumont Street Surgery on 01865 240501. You will be connected to the Out-of-Hours Service and a local GP will telephone you back, usually within half an hour. If you need to be seen, you will be advised to attend the Out-of-Hours Centre at Manzil Way (off Cowley Road).

If you do go to hospital, please inform the college at the earliest opportunity, so we can ensure the appropriate support is provided.