Mini-Symposium on Global Child Health
Serving the children of the world: examining the current research needs in PaediatricsThursday 7 April 2022 08:30 to 17:30
EP Abraham Lecture Theatre, Green Templeton College
A quarter of the world population is under 15 years of age and 90% of these children live in low- and middle-income countries (LMICs). This Mini-Symposium is designed as a space of knowledge exchange and debate. The aim is of better understanding the complexity of the current and emerging challenges to child health, and how networks, government, industry, philanthropy and academic partnerships can effectively collaborate in planning and delivering much needed health care to children in LMICs.
For this event Green Templeton College is partnering with the European Society for Paediatric Research (ESPR), The Oxford Global Health and Care Systems Society (OGHCS), The Global Health Network (TGHN) and the Academic Paediatric Association (APA).
The Scientific Committee of the Mini-Symposium on Global Child Health invites participants, who are interested in sharing their work and ideas on the theme of paediatric child health, to submit their work in abstract form to email@example.com following these guidelines. Deadline Friday 25 March 2022 at 23:59 GMT. The poster competition is now closed to new submissions.
Programme – all sessions take place in the EP Abraham Lecture Theatre unless otherwise stated.
8:40 – Welcome and presentation of the agenda
Professor Trudie Lang
8:50 – Keynote address – the relevance of research in Global Child Health
Professor Charles Roehr
9:00 – Session 1 – Global Children Health: examining the current research
Chair: Professor Charles Roehr
- Associate Professor Manisha Nair: Maternal and perinatal Health Research Collaboration in India
- Professor Cheah Fook Choe: Established Perinatal Therapies – A need for further evaluation and research
- Professor Maximo Vento: Research in neonatal resuscitation from a global perspective
10:50 – Break – Stables Bar and Gallery
11:10 – Session 2 – Global Child Health: The challenge of giving voice to the children
Chair: Davide Bilardi
- Professor Esmita Charani: Antibiotic prescribing and infection in paediatrics from a global health perspective
- Mercy Shibemba: Challenge or opportunity? Utilising the voices of children to shape paediatric research
12:30 – Lunch break – Stables Bar and Gallery
13:15 – ‘Sun and Petals’ – a successful story in global child health
Introduction: Davide Bilardi, followed by documentary projection
13:35 – Session 3 – A strategic vision: looking at the future of Global Child Health
Chair: Professor Trudie Lang
- Professor Carlo Giaquinto: The dynamic evolution of paediatric infectious diseases research: the essential role of global collaborations
- Professor Mike English: Embedding research into routine settings – ethnography to pragmatic trials, policy linkages and capacity building
15:00 – Break – Stables Bar and Gallery
15:15 – Round table: research needs in global paediatrics
Co-moderators: Professor Trudie Lang and Professor Charles Roehr
16:20 – Closing out session including results of the poster competition
Francis Ayomoh, Davide Bilardi, Professor Charles Roehr and Professor Trudie Lang
17:00 to 18:00 – Drinks and Networking Sessions – Common Room, Radcliffe Observatory
This event takes place in-person. Registration is now closed. If you would like to be considered for the waiting list, please email firstname.lastname@example.org .
For those unable to join in-person a simple streaming is available on Zoom webinar.