The Shadowing Programme for the academic year 2021-22 will be launched in the autumn. If you want to take part you will need to attend the launch event (date TBC) or let us know why you cannot attend in advance. If you are following the accredited pathway, completing a shadowing placement will contribute to your credits.
On this page you can find information about the shadowing programme and feedback from previous years.
The Management in Medicine (MiM) Shadowing Programme provides medical students, doctors in training, postgraduate students and others with an interest in healthcare management, with an opportunity to shadow a senior manager in healthcare, or social services for approximately two half-days. The purpose of the shadowing is to give those working or interested in healthcare an insight into the activities of managers, how they go about those activities, and the issues on which they work.
Shadowing Programme 2020-21 Launch
A launch event for the Shadowing Programme 2020-21 was held on Monday 7 December 2020 via Zoom. Dr Nicholas Hicks, Chair of the Management in Medicine Steering Committee, and Associate Fellow of Green Templeton College, explained what is expected of successful applicants. Previous shadows also provided insights about their own experiences.
After the event, potential shadows were sent a list of all the participating managers and their job title. Potential shadows were then invited to apply, stating their preferences for the shadowing placement based on the information provided. They had to provide a short bio for the participating manager and give a firm commitment to complete the programme and to provide a report on completion.
Applicants could apply to take part in the Shadowing Programme whether or not they were following the Faculty of Medical Leadership (and Management (FMLM) accredited Management in Medicine pathway. More information on the accreditation of the Management in Medicine programme by FMLM.
Feedback from previous years
- “A thank you from me to all those involved in this scheme, it was excellent and I really enjoyed this insight it has provided”.
- “I found the pre meeting and post meeting discussion particularly helpful as it allowed tailored discussion on my career plans and what possible ways there were into management.”
- “I thoroughly enjoyed my MiM shadowing and found it a very worthwhile experience”.
- “As both a DPhil student and public health trainee, I found this shadowing experience highly valuable and insightful”.
- “The shadowing placement was a fantastic learning opportunity”.
- “The placement was an excellent extension to the knowledge I gained during MiM Seminars, adding a layer of real-life application and practical knowledge”.
- “I found the shadowing programme to be invaluable in providing me with an insight into the structure and management of this busy NHS Trust”.
All queries about the Shadowing Programme should be directed to:
Academic Projects Administrator
Green Templeton College
43 Woodstock Road